How are you feeling about the holiday season? Some people find this time of the year exciting and love the energy that it brings. Other people find this time emotionally challenging due to many personal circumstances. Take the time to check in with yourself to see how you are feeling these days. The holiday season is here and will come around every year at the same time. This is your opportunity to design the experience you want to live. Here are a few tips to consider as you decide how you want to create your holiday season:
Be Grateful. Take a moment to really take a serious look at where you are right now. Remember that the news is designed to provide updates on things that are not necessary positive. The media and people around us may paint a picture that may not apply to what is happening in your world. What are you tuning into these days? How often are you tuning in? How are your emotions affected by what you listen to, who are you are around? There is always something to be grateful for: sight, touch, taste, hearing, talking, walking. Be creative and find something.
Be Engaged! Don’t you love technology? I do. The internet, cell phones and computers allow us to feel connected as often as we want to. We can email, instant message, and text message people any time we feel the urge. Take the time over the holidays to be more engaged in person with people and allow the technology to rest. There is nothing more special than having heartfelt conversations and laughing and enjoying good company. How can you connect more with the people you enjoy spending time with? Ask yourself, do I really need to have the cell phone on when were are together? Your family, friends, and people you are with will appreciate this simple gesture.
Be Thoughtful. Every moment you have a choice. Even when you don’t feel like you have a choice, you do. Take the time to pay attention to what you are feeling and how you are responding to people around you. Are you spending time with the people you really want to be with right now? If you are that is wonderful! If you aren’t, get clear about how you want to change that picture. Every moment is an opportunity to be mindful about the choices you make every day. When you decide what you want, move in the direction that will get you where you want to be.
Remember that CALM and CHAOS come from the same place, your mind. 😉 Be ever wonderful and make the choices that allow you to create the life you want to live!
Let me know your thoughts by clicking the comment button, I’d like to know what you have to say.
How are you treating life these days? Yes, that’s right. Instead of saying, “How are you doing? Or How’s life? I started asking people, “How are you treating life?” Hmmm…now that’s different right? It makes you think about what YOU are doing in your life. A dog is a dog. A cat is a cat. As human beings we have the power of choice. We often forget that we have the ability to fully engage in life or to simply live our lives on auto pilot. To truly LIVE Life is a choice. Making specific and conscious choices is what I call, “Living by Design.”
1999, I wrote my book, Why Struggle? Life is too short to wear tight shoes as a mini compendium of ideas, thoughts, philosophies and tips for helping me manage life’s unpredictable changes and to help me learn to Live by Design. Around that same time I started dabbling with meditation and relaxation techniques but I didn’t quite dedicate myself to the practice.
Being a student of life and growth, I decided I would give meditation a try, why not? Sitting and being still was very challenging at first- now, I don’t start my day without at least 600 seconds (10 minutes) of silence or meditation. A few months ago I released my meditation cd, Be Still: Learn to Meditate in 10 Minutes a Day and I have been truly honored by the positive responses.
Daily we brush our teeth, shower and prepare ourselves to go out into the world. Meditation is mental hygiene. It is one way to prepare our mind for our day. Meditation provides mental clarity. Consistently meditating as little as 3 minutes a day ensures more focus, greater clarity and less stress. At work or in our careers we train ourselves about things we don’t know. Why not train your mind to manage your thoughts and emotions more effectively? Why not use this amazing tool to create what you want?
Do you have 600 seconds a day that you can devote to yourself? Don’t you deserve 10 minutes a day to be with yourself? In less than 10 minutes a day you can start making changes in your life that will impact every choice you make with more awareness and clarity.I’m offering several specials on my website, www.dontstress.net, for my book and cd.
Be Still CD – $15.00 (regular price- $16.95)
Be Still CD Special – 3 CD’S for $45.00
Be Still MP3 – Download Available immediately for only $13.00
Why Struggle? Book – 1 for $9.95
Why Struggle? Book Special – 3 for $25.00
Don’t Stress Special – 1 book + 1 CD – $24.95
Take a 5 minute break…Listen to a sample meditation from Be Still:Learn to Meditate in 10 Minutes a Day
Please take five minutes for yourself and be still, get clear so you can choose well. You can listen to a five minute sample from the CD several ways:
Every day we have opportunities to grow and create the lives we truly want. Each day we must truly venture to “live by design” in order to create a truly divine and magnificent life. Being responsible and accountable for the day we design and the energy we bring to everything requires that we live consciously aware of each moment and the choices that we make – for they will indeed have consequences.
1. Embrace change. A dog is a dog every day. A cat is a cat every day. As humans, we have the potential to change every second of every day. Life is beautiful. Life is wonderful. Life is filled with change. We are humans with the amazing ability to CHANGE, our minds, our will, our behaviors, any time. Learn to embrace change as a life partner and welcome opportunities to grow.
2. Create your own standards. Why is the color blue called blue? Why isn’t the color blue called yellow? Someone defined the colors just as someone defined the holidays and any other point of reference. The reason we celebrate anything in life is because there was a standard set and people believed it. I believe every day is a new day and a new year. I don’t have to wait until January 1st to plan to make changes. Think about your life and redefine standards so they work for you and the life you want to design.
3. Balance Technology. Cell phones. Instant messaging. Text messaging. Computers. Technology has no discretion, humans do. We lived for hundreds of years without 24 hour, 365-day access to people. A ringing phone does not require a response. Take time to become aware of your habits and patterns. Take the time to sit and talk to people in person and ENGAGE with them only. Turn off the technology. Make the effort to be present when you are with someone; turn the phone off or let voicemail do what it was designed to do, take a message.
4. Say NO when you want to. We are adults, so we have to engage in adult behaviors. Repeat after me,“I am an adult and totally responsible for my life.” That’s it. Make choices for yourself and not for other people. When you don’t want to do something, don’t do it. An explanation is not required. People adjust over time as our behavior changes. No more excuses. No more doing things you really don’t want to do. Be polite when you tell people no. Take a big step to managing your time and life by making the choice to say no.
5. Appreciate your time. Are you spending time with people you don’t want to? We have all probably done this at some time in life. Being with people who don’t nourish and encourage you is deteriorating your health. Ask yourself this question, “When I talk to _____, do I feel energetic or tired?” Instead of spending time with people who are sucking the life out of you, spend time with yourself.
Let me know your thoughts by clicking the comment button, I’d like to know what you have to say.
It’s been a busy time since I got back from Barbados. I’ve been updating my website and getting the final cover design approved and it’s now at the press. You can listen to a few samples on my website or if you want have a few images you can listen and see images on You tube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLGpFYWo7Is. My meditation cd is available at www.dontstress.net and also at www.learnoutloud.com (search on Be Still Meditation). Thank you Leticia Owens of R’Tish Creations for the beautiful cover and Charlie Mystro of Y.U.C.A. Music group for the great hi-def audio recording.
I’ve been listening to a few audio programs in my LWD (Learn while driving) program. I am almost done with Michael Beckwith’s Life Visioning – a phenomenal program for anyone who is interested in moving being mediocrity and living a life of excellence. You can find out more about him at www.agapelive.com. Michael says that “meditation is paying undistractable attention to the present moment. ” I wholeheartedly agree.
I also completed the audio program, The Seven Levels of Intimacy: The Art of Loving and the Joy of Being Loved by Matthew Kelly. It was a wonderful program and the narration was absolutely flawlessly executed.
Matthew says that our main purpose is to be the best version of ourselves. Amen.
I remember reading somewhere that anything in nature that doesn’t grow dies. I believe that as humans we are here to grow and evolve. If you aren’t growing you are dying. Are you living on the surface of life or are you living with depth and feeling, tasting, and touching all the textures that come with the journey.
My question to you is… What are you reading, listening to or experiencing that is helping you grow?
Tell me in the comments and share this with your friends.